Pink

Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Solo Adventure...Accomplished!



So this weekend has been all about relaxing and getting my energy level back up to rock this next week with Princess and Diva! I started to get a cold last week and I think my body was pretty much worn down from the last month of my life, I needed a weekend for ME to get back to my crazy self!

Yesterday I slept in, hung out in my room for a while and just enjoyed not having any obligations since I had worked 14 days without a day off..this felt amazing! I lazed around for a while and then decided I would go find a movie theater so I ended up going to a small city near us. I found a big city center there with a huge building with a Movie Theater, Target, Barnes & Noble and a bunch of places like that.. THIS makes me happy because those three places can entertain me for hours! LOL!

After being kind of busy yesterday I decided that I would just hangout here today.. UM.. that happened until about 12pm and then I randomly decide, WHY NOT.. Lets go to NYC!

I knew it would be easier to just take the train into the city from where I live, but I decided to get the real first experience that I would drive! I found a parking garage near where I wanted to be, we won't even discuss how expensive it was! LOL! 

I got out of the car, looked up and I was instantly amazed! These buildings were HUGE!! All I had to go on was what I have seen in the movies and tv shows...and man oh man, they didn't do these building justice at all!!

People, Cars, Taxi, and more people.. were everywhere!!! After I realized that my GPS was in the car, I decide to just start walking, I'd eventually find it right?! So that's what I did!

I wanted to go to the World Trade Center Memorial, so I set up to find it..little did I know there was a huge process to get to go into the actual Memorial. I could see the Building but couldn't figure out how to do to the entrance of ground zero, so I figure the best person to ask is the nearest hotdog vendor! LOL! I was sooo right! I asked him and he started laughing at me...making me laugh too! He said "Turn around and look UP! There it is.. THAT is what you are walking towards!" He starts telling me which streets to turn down and to watch out for the crazy people when I get into the lines..then he adds "Ya wanna take a dog with you for the walk?" LOL! Uh.. No thank you kind Sir! :)

The weirdest thing was walking up to the line for the entrance is the WEIRDEST feeling..The city is soo loud and buzzing with energy and sounds, and then you get to ground zero and it's completely silent and eery..It was completely crazy.. I get to the lines for the entrance and soon find out I have to walk five more blocks to the 9/11 memorial preview site to get a Visitor's pass first..I walk up to get that and they say my ticket won't be ready until 5:30pm....oh damn! It was only 2:45, so that dashed my plans to actually go INTO the memorial.. but I just figured I'd do it next time..

So I found the visitor's center and went through all the videos, pictures hanging out on display of people, firemen's hats, and even saw some recovered wallets, wedding rings and drivers licenses..it was incredibly sad..

I keep walking and across the street I found St. Paul's Chapel.. the outside of it looks like an old cemetery and when I say OLD.. I mean, there is no names or dates on these tombstones and all the trees infront of the chapel have little white ribbons of hope tied onto each of the branches.. I guess when the families of the missing people on 9/11 didn't know what to do when their loved ones were missing, a bunch of them came to the chapel to pray, leave pictures and to find hope that they'd find them.. After the searches were called off and the people were announced dead, they started an altar of memories inside the chapel and also people started leaving letters, stories and things that reminded them of their loved ones in collections on the walls of the chapel..

Not being able to go into the actual memorial, the Chapel was incredible.. I sat on one of the chairs they had for pews and just felt the energy in there while probably close to 100 walked around looking at everything they had on display!

After I got done at the chapel, I walked along the water and was able to spot the Statue of Liberty! I was on the phone with my mom and all of a sudden I started squealing "oh my gosh! I see Lady Liberty!!!" lol! My mom was totally jealous!

I sat and watched the jet skis, boats and yachts go around in the water for a little bit before starting to head back to my car! I guess I didn't realize how long I had been walking because when I started back to my car I had a ways to go..but guess what, they have these amazing things called TAXIS going back you ever 1.5 seconds, so I hailed a cab to get back to my parking garage! LOL! Hey...I got tired!

So my last minute choice to go to the city ended up being an amazing adventure for a beautiful Sunday afternoon!!

I'm sure it will be more fun once I meet people to do things with, but I feel blessed that I'm completely comfortable with exploring on my own!!

I'm thinking next weekend will be Times Square!!





2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous too!! How exciting and adventurous! ! Hope to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roaming around the city without any specific place to go is one of the BEST things ever! So glad you're enjoying yourself there :)

    ReplyDelete